Locating the services of a professional
Asking the right questions
There are a number of questions you need to ask when choosing a valuer to assist you.
- EXPERIENCE - are they experienced in the type of valuation you need? Do they regularly value the sort of objects you have? Ask and they should tell you. Do they have in-house or consultant experts available if required?
- QUALIFICATIONS - are they professionally qualified? Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and Society of Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers (SOFAA) are the most appropriate professional bodies. RICS has a set of standards for valuation known as the 'Red Book' and they closely regulate the activities of member firms.
- FEES - how do they charge for their services? Is it time based - by the hour or day? Is there a minimum fee? Or is it a scalable fee, based upon a percentage of the items to be valued? Most professional firms' charges are time-based. Most will also give a quote prior to instruction. Remember that VAT will be payable.
- TIME - how long will it take? Most valuations can be carried out within 7 to 10 days. They will then usually be researched and completed within a few days and copies will be sent to you.
Other things you might like to think about include how the valuers will communicate with you - on the phone or by email? Will you be able to work with your valuer when you meet them, and do you have a good feeling about them?
Jones & Jacob are pleased to offer assistance to those requiring valuation of a single items or whole contents. We can also sell all suitable items at auction and arrange for properties to be cleared.
We are regulated by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and follow their 'Red Book' guidance on valuation practice.
NEXT SALE: 12th July
- Fine Art and Antique Sale
Wednesday, 12th July 2017
- commencing 10.30am
Live Bidding available through thesaleroom.com
To be kept up-to-date with a forthcoming catalogue register your details with us:
Our specialist team of valuers - members of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) - can provide insurance valuations and probate valuations to individuals, companies, law firms and executors on all manner of antiques and fine art items.
Need an antiques valuation urgently?
Simply complete our online form today and we will respond as soon as we possibly can.